Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Write What You Want to Read

When I first began to study Ifa, Yoruba culture and Orisha worship. I was appalled by the lack of truthful, Afrikan centered, historically correct information available on this ancient spiritual tradition. I was also crushed by my own family's reaction to my decision to study and then practice Afrikan traditional spirituality. I was all but disowned by mother, and was told by my sister's that I was damning myself and my children to eternal hellfire. I was terrified that they may be correct BUT inside me I could hear the voices of my Ancient Ancestors screaming..."We were not wicked, we were not evil, our ways were good and pure, uplifting and powerful...do not fear us...come and know us and through knowing us, know yourself".

I followed the voice of my Ancestors and they have NEVER steered me wrong since. However, early in my study I recognized the need for simple, factual, well written information on the tradition written by a practitioner. I was also painfully aware of the fact that the view that the majority of people have of Afrikan spiritual traditions was negative mostly contrived from Hollywood's degrading depictions of evil "voodoo" practitioners and "witch doctors". Afrikan's born in the West in particular have been bred to be terrified of our ancient traditions, our way of life, our belief systems. I have even heard elders speak of how glad they were that their Ancestors were taken into slavery so that they were not born into wicked Afrikan society but were instead born here in America! As if American society is ANYTHING BUT wicked! We perpetuate this fear by vehemently discouraging others who are courageous enough to study Afrikan traditions. Once I began to study the traditions of Our Ancestors, I was SURE that if others but had the information, they would not be so ashamed and terrified of our ancient ways of life. Out of that need for factual information and a concise explanation of what our way of life was before the Maafa (the great tragedy that befell us) was born Ona Agbani my book. It was my prayer upon writing the book that it would serve as a beacon of light and truth in the Yoruba/Ifa/Orisha community and that it would enlighten those who were seeking the deeper wisdom and truths of our Ancestors.

Once folx began to read it and comment...I was elated with the response...below are some of the responses from readers who have been touched...

All praises to My Munificent Mother Oshun...My Ancestors and My Ori !!!!

Good, Concise Intro to Ifa [ No Rating ] 1 Mar 2007
by carameldom
This is the most concise book I've read on Ifa so far. One of those things you can read in a day, but refer to for a lifetime. If you're curious and don't know where to start, this book is a great starting point. If you're already a practitioner & tired of explaining what it is you do/all that stuff in your house (lol), I'd recommend buying a copy for friends, family, or anyone who has heard of Ifa but has no idea what it's really about.


I couldn't put your book down!
On June 17th, 2008 Sis. Nzinga says:
Sistah,
As my spirit is being led to know more about Ifa, I knew I had to purchase your book. I was not disappointed. I gathered so much knowledge & information and I am now making arrangements to find local practitioners to learn even more. Thanks for giving birth to a wonderful resource.
Ase!Sis. Nzinga
~I affirm that I am a divine wombman who lives a life of courage, adventure and bliss!

On May 17th, 2008 Namaste27 says:
The Book is beautiful. Maweyah hipped me to it and others. Yours was the first one that came, and the first I have ever read that I overstood. Thank You!!!Peace & Blessings



You read Ona Agbani
On June 18th, 2008 Mawiyah says:
Mawiyah Kai EL-Jamah Bomani
It was a wonderful read wasn't it? My husband has my copy and won't put it down. Let me know what happens on your quest.Ase Homegirl



SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Add to Technorati Favorites

Woman Centered Wear