Tuesday, February 12, 2008

An Eighteen Year Veteran of Attachment Parenting, Breastfeeding and Home Schooling






Tell me what you want to know...
And I will see if I can help...
Seventeen years ago, I had the most miraculous, life changing, self affirming experience...I gave birth.
It wasn't perfect, there were problems
ALLLL kinds of problems
LOTS and
LOTS and
LOTS of problems
I was only 20...
I had taken a leave of absence from undergrad to give birth
At the behest of my mother and some of my more conservative friends, I had gotten married...a marriage that rapidly deteriorated to verbal and physical abuse
I had no job
I couldn't drive
And I had been raised to believe that
I was selfish
lazy
and impatient
BUT somehow the Most High saw fit to send me
to give me
to bless me with
this beautiful perfect little person who looked to me for
everything
It was the beginning of the most perfect love affair
and it catapulted me into adulthood and
womanhood
and goddesshood
It has been my experience that each child you carry and give birth to takes you to a higher level of
womanhood
And you learn something new and different and powerful about yourself with each pregnancy and birth as well
My oldest taught me that I was loving, and kind, and hard working and very very very patient
I studied, and researched, and asked questions and listened to the advice of my mother, my mother-in-law, my sisters, my sister-in-law and I strove to be the best possible mother I could be
I very quickly realized that the most informative source of how to be a good mother
Was
The Baby Herself!!!
She taught me to listen to myself
to listen to her
and listen to my heart
Years later
I have breastfed
home schooled
and attachment parented
four more wonderful children
from an Afrikan centered
Gynocentric (woman and child centered)
Goddess affirming perspective
For the past 15 of those years I have also been a priestess of the Munificent Mother YeYe Oshun
Leading and guiding individuals to the "door of their own understanding" as my Ajugbona the late Medahochi Kofi Zannu taught me ( Iba ara torun)
I administer Difas(readings), officiate at weddings, perform house cleansings, preside over naming ceremonies, and provide libations among many, many, many other things
My connection to the Yoruba culture was fostered by a lifelong interest in history
and learning of my own West Afrikan and Cherokee roots has also placed me in the position of griot of West Afrikan history and ways
Culminating in the writing of my book
Ona Agbani: The Ancient Way
Life has given me more than I ever thought possible
we have lived both in the US and abroad
my four oldest are professional performing artists
and my oldest is a published author at seventeen
I raised them in a way that is a radical departure from what we are taught to consider "normal"
and I didn't "break " them , nor are they spoiled brats
They are very sure of themselves and their place in the world









They are polite, sensitive, caring, responsible and talented
I followed my heart, with them, for them and through them and it was the best possible decision I have ever made
It worked and it continues to work, for them and for me
This blog is for those of you out there who have a deep desire to follow your heart, to heed your inner voice and to listen to your highest self
Look at this as a 'how to' guide to
Attachment Parenting
Home Schooling
Unschooling
Pagan Parenting
Raising Children in Orisha
Blending Families
one thing that I've never had that I've always desparately wanted is a mentor
That is what I am seeking to be for you
A mentor
A supporter
A personal cheerleader
A non judgemental observer in your world
A voice in the wilderness crying with you so that you are not crying out alone
someone who has been there
who has made it through
the sleepless nights
the stares and the jeers
the loneliness
the burnout
the lack of understanding from grandma's and inlaws and husbands and boyfriends
the days of staying in bed cause you do not have the energy to wage war with the rest of the world anymore
someone who can let you know that everything is going to be alright
Better Than Alright
Everything is going to be GLORIOUS!!
It is possible, and normal and good to raise children and live life on your own terms
Now I place the ball in your court...
Tell me what you want to know
and I will try to help you

questions



comments



answers???






I want to hear from you



I am waiting to hear from you

















8 comments:

sparkle said...

yay!!!

i'm looking forward to seeing this blog grow.

peace.

oyadé

omi said...

wow...is this new?? great stuff...

this is the 2nd inspirational take on mothering and womanhood i've seen in almost as many days. y'all are giving me hope that i can actually do this someday and have somebody tell me i'm doing it well instead of being off my rocker.

ok. off to work now! lol.

peace

Mawiyah B. said...

Alaafia:

I am a member of the ymib community and I have to tell you after 14 years of studying Yoruban culture in my own or in small communities Ona Agbani helped me plunge deep into the waters of Yemaya and Olukun. In you I found a Goddess and I loved her some kinda fiercely.

Ase

Honeychile said...

Modupe Iya,

I love the quotes below! I had to share them with some sister friends.

On those roads of Oshun - can you help me understand what she teaches - specifically in roads where her waters are not flowing. Maybe I am too stuck on there being a river....I was thinking that she helps teach how to live when everything isn't flowing (a reality) and the treasures at the bottom but I don't know if that's just me making up stuff...I appreciate your guidance!

Righteous said...

Modupe Iya,

I am so excited about finding this blog and your myspace page IYA. I am very interested in learning more about attachment parenting and the family bed. These are new terms for me.

I have a 3 y/o Oni Sango. I have just begun my arrangements to homeschool the bright, loving, intelligent little ball of energy. I read how your Ojubona was Baba Medahochi Zannu (iba ara torun). I lived in Atlanta, close to his family for a few years before my daughter was born. I loved him dearly for the light he always so freely shared with us, his devoted children.

Really, the comment about a mentor was breath taking. That is exactly what I want. I still feel so brand new as a Yeye because she is always moving into new facets of her life and I have to support her growth. I'm just happy you are willing to be here.

I now we are a rare breed but I thank you so much for opening up and sharing your experience. Modupe

Mo Ni Fe Iya

Oyabomi

Rose said...

Alafia,
I just found this page today, it is so timely for me. Many blessings my sister! I wonder if you are still blogging here or if you have a new site? I would love to read more of your writings.

Aboru Aboye Abosise,
Madame Koiteh

Anonymous said...

important link replica gucci bags home replica ysl bags use this link buy replica bags online

Unknown said...

j8u75f5i23 e6p62c1s69 m2t13p6e75 x4j91d3g60 d0i99u0f32 y4v84n6r80

SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Add to Technorati Favorites

Woman Centered Wear